Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Final Blog Post



1.    Self-Evaluation:
It seems like yesterday that my parents were saying goodbye to me as I walked into my new home for the next year.  Over this past semester I learned a lot; everything from how to survive in the dorms to how to be a good writer. Being in English 15s has taught me a lot about writing and art, specifically art at Penn State.  I started off this semester thinking that I was average at writing; I could do it without a lot trouble, but I wouldn’t ever be that good at it.  Then when I found out about our blog, I was worried about writing quality posts.  As the semester continued to progress, I noticed that my writing ability kept getting better.  Help from my informative teacher facilitated that growth.  I also learned a lot from the readings we went over in our class.  I learned a lot in two specific instances; the readings of Ms. Squillante’s own memoir and the letter by Martin Luther King Jr. from prison.  Both of these pieces of writing not only taught me a lot about how to write better, but they taught me how to appeal to people.  Using the appeals is one of the most important lessons to learn in writing.  No one is going to read any type of writing if it does not appeal to them.  I think this is something that I struggled with in the past.  I would be able to organize and answer a prompt correctly, but it would be a boring paper.  My old writing had less flare and less captivating messages in it.  I think that today my writing has truly improved on many levels.  As I progress into my second semester of college, I think my writing ability will now allow me better enhance my overall education.  I will use this ability to write a more clear and concise paper to help in over classes where papers and essays are required.  I will also use the information I learned about the appeals to help me better reach out to people.  The appeals truly extend far beyond the world of writing as it is applied in things like public relations and advertisement.  Overall, I learned a lot about how to be a better write in this class, as I now know more about the items that need to be included in quality work and art.
            The first things I think about when I hear Penn State mentioned is big school, partying and football.  To be frankly honest, all three of characteristics attracted me to this school.  When I first came here, I never thought that Penn State had much of an arts scene.  Taking English 15s really introduced to a lot of what Penn State arts has to offer.  There is art for everyone here from weird events like the bug convention at the BJC to traditional arts like the Palmer Museum of Art.  If I did not take this class I would not have noticed such amazing opportunities this school has to offer.  My favorite class this year was when we got to go out to the arboretum where we got experience art in its most natural form.  The beauty of these gardens combined with the background of the monstrous mountains is a truly awe inspiring view.  I personally grew over the semester to appreciate art more.  I have hated plays and traditional art museums for the better part of my life.  Coming to Penn State did not make me like them instantly, but they did change how I felt about them.  I eventually went back to the Palmer Museum of Art again and realized that I could appreciate a lot of the arts inside it.  It is unfortunate to think that many students at Penn State will never get to experience a lot of the arts opportunities here.  I think that people should try to soak in the arts and cultural opportunities at this school.  The arts at Penn State is truly one of the most important aspect of this school, and is something I really appreciated because it opened my eyes to so many different things.

2. Blog Response Round-Up



  1.     www.Liddycoddington.blogspot.com/p/not-your-cliche-quotes.html?showcomment=1347419306128
  2.       www.tarasaverageblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/arts-cultural-response-rock-vote-concert.html?showcomment=1348426559250#c2225401488421498430
  3.       http://bittyjade.blogspot.com/2012/10/were-going-streaking-will-farrell-one.html#comment-form
  4.       http://ashleelindoh.blogspot.com/2012/10/movie-madness-social-network.html
  5.       http://storiesfromstuart.blogspot.com/2012/10/movie-review-higher-learning.html
  6.       http://rebeccacommisso.blogspot.com/2012/10/artscultural-response-zac-brown-band.html
  7.       http://ashleelindoh.blogspot.com/2012/11/in-red-and-brown-water_16.html
  8.      http://liddycoddington.blogspot.com/2012/11/in-red-and-brown-water-review.html#comment-form
  9.       http://derosag5050.blogspot.com/2012/10/animal-house.html
  10.   http://elysamkolvek.blogspot.com/2012/11/carrie-underwood-concert.html



3. SRTE Evaluations

Hi, Ms. S--I completed my SRTEs!  Thanks for an awesome first semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment